In addition to the normal hiking clothing such as shirts and shorts (preferably made from wicking materials) and good hiking boots or shoes (and gaiters), clients should also have a day pack large enough to fit the following items:
- Warm (preferably waterproof) jacket (fleece or equivalent)
- Rain suit
- 1 liter water bottle
- Sun hat
- Sun block
- Food items enough for the day
- Personal medications
- Binoculars (optional)
- Passport (if hiking over the Lesotho border)
- Hiking stick(s) (optional)
- Whistle (HELP CALL: S.O.S. three short blasts, three long blasts, three short blasts)
NB: All clothes not being worn should be wrapped in garbage bags to keep them dry and all items that may be damaged or rendered inoperable by water should be placed in Ziploc bags.
There is no such thing as a waterproof rucksack!